Sunday, February 20, 2011

Starting out

Well, I've jumped in head first, I've started a blog.  My sister gave me the inspiration, she started a blog a couple of months ago, and I thought it was a great way for me to start writing again (which I haven't done in ages), but an even better way to procrastinate studying for my securities course, lol.

It's the long weekend and the boys are at their dad's.  I had some friends over on Saturday, but it's been quiet today.  Too quiet, and I've been doing some thinking, despite my attempts to keep myself busy watching movies.  These past few weeks have been stressful at work, and it's got me wondering if I'm going down the right path in my career.  I changed positions within my company about 18 months ago, and at the time, I was certain that the move was right for me.  But with recent changes to the ownership of my firm, everyone seems to be even more stressed than usual, including me, and my frustration with "the system" is reaching an intolerable level.  My boss advised me to let it go, said I shouldn't let myself get stressed about it, and that I could be right or I could be happy, but not both.  I laughed when she said it, but then it made me wonder, is she right?  And is she talking just about work?  Or life in general?  Knowing myself fairly well, I realized that if my boss is correct, that I could be right or I could be happy, I am in serious trouble.  Because I have this insatiable need to be right, being right makes me happy.  So if I can't be both right and happy, where does that leave me?  That's what got me thinking that it is time for me to leave my company, to find another job elsewhere where things are more stable, and where my urge to be right leads me to do a fantastic job, which is in turn appreciated and applauded.  Starting at a new company after 7 years at my current firm will be hard, making major changes in life is always stressful, but in my case, I think staying would be even more stressful in the end.  Time to update my resume, I guess.  Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. He he...it is not often I can say I am someone's "first" but I am yours! If you need to chat girl, I have an office and the door is always open, except when it needs to be closed for chatting.

    ReplyDelete